Hokitika is a great place to base yourself while you explore the West Coast. Below are our suggestions to experience great food, art, walking tracks, coffee, scenery and wildlife. Hokitika has lots on offer and suits all budgets.
Things to do in Hokitika
1. Wake and revitalise with an early morning jump off the jetty at Lake Mahinapua. A stunning example of unique scenery. Cast a rod, catch a fish.
2. Coffee at Stella. They have a cheese room, live bees and consistent coffee. Did we mention the coffee?
3. Mooch around the thriving metropolis of Hokitika’s CBD. Visit SunshiNZ Gallery and Gifts, Hokitika Glass Blowing, Tectonic Jade, Hokitika Museum, Hokitika Craft Gallery, wood turning and Alice’s Fudge & ice cream. Finish off your shop with a frock at ANNAH S for the evenings, paired with jewellery from Charlotte Breeze at Ocean Paua.
4. Visit the incredible TREETOP WALKWAY at Mahinapua Forest.
5. Lunch with kiwi ‘fush and chups’ from Porkys at the HOKITIKA BEACH on one of the arty ‘TAKE-A-SEAT’ locations looking out to sea. Crashing waves and tomato sauce.
6. Drive out to Lake Kaniere through enchanted native bush and walk to Dorothy Falls. Continue on to The HOKITIKA GORGE. Prehistoric, a world wonder.
7. Take a scenic flight with Wilderness Wings and check out Aoraki Mt Cook and the Glaciers from the air with stunning alpine landings. We would follow this with a celebratory wine at The West Coast Wine Bar, a favourite haunt with a stunning selection.
8. Dine at Stations Inn - Incredibly gorgeous http://www.stationsinnhokitika.co.nz/restaurant_and_bar.html.
9. Walk the Hokitika beach at sunset, if the weather allows, or take in a movie at The Regent Theatre and eat chocolate covered ice creams.
10. Retire to your Fire House accommodation and read a book which you purchased at Take Note book shop, falling asleep to the sound of the waves.